Student Data Privacy & Technology Use
Why Student Data Privacy Matters
All of the Grantham School District stakeholders, teachers, employees, administrators and school board members play an important role in protecting student privacy. With the constant evolution of new online educational apps and tools that can enhance teaching and learning, it is more important than ever that the district take steps to ensure that our students' data and privacy is adequately protected when using online educational resources. It is our responsibility to protect student data from any unauthorized use or collection.
- Our Commitment to our Parents: Clear Privacy Practices
- Grantham School District Data Governance Manual (in development)
Process for Adopting a New App/Tool
The process to adopt new online apps/tools for student use must be thoughtful. Only apps/tools that are appropriate to meet the instructional goals, are well designed and meet the legal requirements to protect student privacy and data will be approved. The Grantham School District has adopted a set of Standards when evaluating new App/Online Educational Tools. Before submitting a request for approval of a new App/Online Tool, staff should consider the following:
- Does the App/Online Tool comply with the District’s Responsible Use Policy?
- Has the District already vetted and approved a similar App/Online Tool? If so, staff should use the already approved tool.
- What’s the impact that this new App/Online Tool will have on instruction and student learning? Does it work across content areas and grades? Is it engaging? Does it have strong relevance to the curriculum and instructional goals?
- Has the App/Online Tool been fully tested? It's important for the teacher to fully understand the student experience when using the tool to ensure that it works and is appropriate for the age group. Teachers should be aware of any personal information that might be requested if a student account is required to login.
- Staff should speak with their building Technology Integrator before using ANY new app/online tool with students and seek their assistance with the evaluation/vetting process. This includes any online tool that a student interacts with where they may be creating content and/or any site that requires any student login.
Once all the above has been considered, a request for approval of a new app/online tool can be submitted.
Request for Approval for New App/Online Tool
You will receive an email response to your request upon completion of the vetting process.
Professional Development for Staff
The Grantham School District recognizes that adequate professional development for staff in the area of student data use and privacy is critical. Below are some initial resources that we encourage all staff to review. Professional Development in this area will also be conducted at the school level each year.
Video PD Resources
Approved Software Applications/Tools
Below is a list of applications and tools that are approved by the District. There are multiple tabs for licensed vs free tools. The grade level that the app/tool is approved for is also noted. Some free apps/online tools may require parent permission. Please reach out to the Technology Director with any questions.