Family Tech Help Desk
Common problems and how to fix them:
- My Chromebook/iPad is SLOOW! Not Loading Videos like it used to! Crashing!
- Restart your Chromebook so updates can be applied! In fact, restart your Chromebook daily is a good practice. Be sure to sign out and press the power button for 10 seconds to turn it off all the way.
- On iPads, it's often a space problem. Go to: Settings-> General->iPad Storage If you are using more than 25 GB, it's time to do some housekeeping... Go to Photos on the iPad and: Click "Albums"; Choose "Recents" Select some photos/especially videos to delete. Click the trashcan and delete them. Now scroll down to the Album "Recently Deleted." Press "Select"; Click "Delete All"
- Check other apps that may be hogging space on the list, and remove files from them too!
- How do I complete and turn in an assignment in Google Classroom using an iPad? (Including how to submit a photo!)
- Watch this video! https://youtu.be/evPIJEg6qFM
- My kid's Google stuff won't come up when I go to things like Classroom and Docs, but it brings me to MY Google account instead!
- Recommendation: Set up a separate Google Chrome "profile" for your student on parent devices
- See the following links for what a Profile is, and how to set it up. Easily switch between Google accounts!
- My Chromebook won't turn on! What do I do?
- Try unplugging it, hold power button for 30 seconds. Plug back in. Press power button 3 times in succession. If that doesn’t do it, try again, closing and opening lid all the way before you try turning back on. Final step - plug in and be sure charging light is on. Let charge overnight. Does light turn green? Try one more time.
- How do I set up a BrainPop login?
- See the document below in the help files folder.
- I can't send an email to my child's gvshawks address! They can't send to me from it either!
- Students cannot send or receive email from outside the gvshawks.org domain. See the next question...
- I want to upload files from MY personal device to my child's Google Classroom!
- If it's an iPhone or an Android, best bet is to install the Google Classroom app on your phone and sign in with your child's credentials... this is a twofer - you can upload items directly from your phone for assignments, and you ALSO can see the student's assignments!
- I can't connect to WiFi on my Chromebook!
- Solution: Log out of your Chromebook, or power it all the way off (hold the on-off button for 10 seconds) and restart. Connect to your local Wifi FIRST before logging back in. Log back in.
- I forgot my password!
- Click here to request a password reset.
- How Do I Upload a File to an Assignment in Google Classroom?
- See the slideshow below in the Files section.
- I need an Everyday Math Redemption Code.
- Please contact your classroom teacher for the code.
- When is my Zoom Call for my Student?
- Please check your Google Classroom or the Google Calendar for your Student, or the calendar below.
Hi all, this page is being established to be your main source of tech help for distance learning.
We can help with questions about Google accounts, school-issued Chromebooks and iPads, and technical issues you may be having with connectivity.
Email is our preferred means of helping, but we can also help through Google Hangouts via your student's device, or your own personal devices.
We are here to help your online learning experience be a positive one!
Thank you for your patience - technology issues WILL occur; it is our hope to address them as quickly and painlessly as possible. Go Hawks!